The target group of the Young Academy of Europe consists of outstanding young scientists who meet the eligibility requirements listed below.Prospective members of the YAE
- Are outstanding researchers whose scientific excellence at the international level has been recognized by European or national bodies;
- Have a wide interest in science and science policy at the European level;
- Have demonstrated leadership abilities;
- Are presently carrying out research in the European Union or an associated country*;
- Have obtained their doctoral degree no longer than 12 years ago (credit is given for childcare and national service).
*associated countries are: Albania, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Faroe Islands, Iceland, Israel, Liechtenstein, Macedonia, Republic of Moldova, Montenegro, Norway, Serbia, Switzerland and Turkey.
The YAE initially recruited about 100 members from the pool of ERC Starting Grantgrantholders. Since 1 January 2014, the YAE has been open to leading young scholars whose scientific excellence at the international level has been recognized by their peers (for instance, holders of prestigious European or national research grants or awards) for bottom-up nominations (or self-nominations). The YAE will admit about 100 new members per year, aiming to have about 500 members after five years. Members of the YAE automatically become alumni five years after their admission.
The YAE Selection Committee decision on the admission of new members will be based on the scientific qualification and achievements of the candidates, as well as their willingness to actively contribute to the YAE. These points should be clearly addressed in the submitted documents. Detailed information on the general admission criteria as well as the domain-specific criteria are indicated in this PDF document. For additional information, please contact the Chair of the YAE Selection Committee by e-mail at the address email@example.com.
This web form is the only means of nominating new YAE Members. Nomination deadlines are 28/29 February, 31 May, 31 August and 30 November of every year.
Prospective members may nominate themselves or may be nominated by a current member of the YAE or the Academia Europaea.
The nomination document (one file only in PDF format) should contain
- A brief curriculum vitae, including a list of most important publications (max. 3 pages);
- A statement of interest indicating, among others, the intended participation in one or more of the activities of the YAE (1–2 pages);
- The names of two current members of either the YAE or the AE, working in two different countries, who have agreed to provide letters of support.
At the discretion of the Selection Committee, one of the two supporters may be a member of a prestigious national academy.