The Young Academy of Europe (YAE) is a bottom-up initiative of a dynamic and innovative group of recognized European young scientists with outspoken views about science and science policy.
The key aims of the Young Academy of Europe are to:
- Provide advice and feedback on science policy across Europe, from a “younger” perspective;
- Involve top young scientists in the future European research strategy, such as Long Range Plans and ESF Roadmaps;
- Promote evidence based policy across all European countries;
- Support other young scientists in Europe in their further development and in thinking strategically about the future of their own discipline;
- Create and foster a network of top young researchers across the disciplines in Europe.
The YAE seeks to widen participation across Europe and across the research domains.
Following meetings of ERC Starting Grant grantholders in 2010 and 2011 at the national level, a kick-off meeting with 11 ERC grantholders from various member states(1) was held in Paris in September 2011. At this meeting, possible routes towards establishing a Young Academy of Europe were discussed, and its aims and activities were defined.
(1) Christian Doeller (NL), Nicole Grobert (UK), Alban Kellerbauer (DE), Ariel Knafo (IL), André Mischke (NL), Jörg Peltzer (DE), Magnus Rueping (DE), Raymond Schiffelers (NL), Leif Schröder (DE), Petra Sijpesteijn (NL) and Simone Turchetti (UK).
The Young Academy of Europe was formally established as an independent association of top young researchers in Europe at a constitutive meeting held in Brussels on 7/8 December 2012. Also in December 2012, the YAE established a partnership with Academia Europaea (AE). The Chair and Vice-chairs of the YAE have a standing invitation to the board meetings of the AE, and vice versa.
The 2013 annual meeting was held in September in Wroclaw, Poland.
The 2014 annual meeting was held in July in Barcelona, Spain.
The 2015 annual meeting was held in September in Darmstadt, Germany.
The Board of the Young Academy of Europe is currently composed of 12 European researchers and scholars, all of whom are grantholders of a Starting Grant of the European Research Council.
The YAE Board consists of the following members, elected on 2015-09-07:
- Chair: Nicole Grobert, UK (founding member)
- Vice chair: Sven Bestmann, UK
- Vice chair (outgoing Chair): Lynn Kamerlin, Sweden
- Secretary (acting): Hagit Amirav, Netherlands
- Treasurer: Alban Kellerbauer, Germany (founding member)
- Chair of the Selection Committee: Monica Brinzei, France
- Chair of PE domain: André Mischke, Netherlands (founding member)
- Vice chair of PE domain: Sebastian Leidel, Germany
- Chair of LS domain: Christian Doeller, Netherlands (founding member)
- Vice chair of LS domain: Mangala Srinivas, Netherlands
- Chair of SH domain: Christian Keysers, Netherlands
- Vice chair of SH domain: Alexander Fidora, Spain
The YAE Selection Committee consists of the following members:
- Monica Brinzei, France (Chair of the Selection Committee)
- André Mischke, Netherlands (PE domain)
- Christian Doeller, Netherlands (LS domain)
- Christian Keysers, Netherlands (SH domain)
- Nicole Grobert, UK (YAE Chair)
Organization and governance
The YAE is an international, non-governmental association of individual scientists and scholars who are experts and leaders in their respective fields, as recognized by their peers. All YAE Members are bound by the Code of Conduct established by the YAE Board on 2016-03-16.
The YAE is administered by a Board. It is divided into three Domains, namely Physical Sciences and Engineering (PE), Life Sciences (LS) and Social Sciences and Humanities (SH). The members of the Board of the YAE are selected from among its members representing the three Domains.
The Board’s main function is to support members’ work by guiding and coordinating their ideas and activities. The Board serves as the first point of contact for external parties and for the AE. The Board consists of a Chair, a Vice chair, an Outgoing chair, a Secretary, a Treasurer and the Chair of the Selection Committee, as well as Chairs and Vice chairs for each of the three domains. At the Annual General Meeting, the YAE members elect the Board members for a term of three years, and directly elect the Chair and Vice chair of the Academy. The other resorts are assigned within the board. The YAE Chair and Vice chair have a standing invitation to the AE Board and vice versa.
The Selection Committee consists of five YAE members: The Chair of the Selection Committee, the Chair of the YAE and the Chairs of the three Domains. If a Chair is unable to attend the meeting, he or she will be replaced by his or her Vice chair. The Chair of the Selection Committee leads the selection process. He or she forwards a list of new members to the YAE Board, who take the final decision on the admission of new members.